Cancer in the Workplace
Cancer is a workplace issue. It now affects one in three people, and each year in the UK there are approximately 90,000 people of working age who receive a cancer diagnosis. The chances are that people in your business will be affected - either directly through being ill themselves or through a close relative having the disease.
This course was developed in conjunction with Macmillan - read more about their work and resources.
Who is the course for?
This course will help reps explore issues to be faced if a union member is diagnosed with cancer and find out more about cancer in the workplace, its causes and effects.
How long is the course?
This course will take 18 hours to complete.
What will the course help me to do?
The course will help you:
- explore issues to be faced if a union member is diagnosed with cancer
- find out more about cancer in the workplace, its causes and effects
- become familiar with employment rights and benefits and how they can be used
- to advise and inform members who may be diagnosed with cancer or who are carers
- build up the support of work colleagues and the employer towards a positive attitude that values the person
- look at best practice to improve policies and procedures to support employees from diagnosis to rehabilitation and for carers
- develop a plan to organise a cancer support project, campaign or event
- find out about key contacts and sources of information to be able to support and refer members to useful organisations
Can I get time off to learn?
Union representatives who wish to attend TUC courses in working time should first ask their employer for time off with pay. The Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992 and the Safety Representatives and Safety Committee Regulations 1977 give accredited union and safety representatives a legal right to reasonable time off with pay to attend courses approved by the TUC or their union. Guidance towards establishing what constitutes reasonable time off can be found in the ACAS Code of Practice (pdf).
Representatives who find difficulty in obtaining paid time off to attend TUC courses should seek assistance from their senior union representative or full time union officer.
How much is the course?
There are no course fees for union reps from TUC affiliated unions.
If you require any further information about this course, please contact your TUC Regional Education Officer.