Union Professionals: Employment Law Online - Module 1
A working knowledge of employment law is essential for most union officers and many staff. These course modules cover the fundamentals of how employment law is made, and the remedies available if not properly applied.
Modules can either be booked as individual units or as a series.
Blended learning combines the flexibility of online working with the invaluable opportunity to work with other union professional staff in a classroom environment.
All TUC Education’s online courses are delivered through a web-based learning environment called Moodle. Group activities take place using an online learning environment that learners can log onto whenever convenient.
These online parts of the course are run in a similar way to the classroom, involving a mixture of discussion-based activities, workplace tasks and individual project work.
Discussions are based around activities and involve sub-groups of the class, and they are facilitated by experienced online tutors.
Module 1 covers:
How Employment Law is made:
- UK and EU institutions and their powers to issue employment law
- The hierarchy of courts and their powers in relation to employment law
- The establishment of case law, its origins and the application of Common Law to employment law
- Category of worker – identifying the main categories and the key tests to establishing the category of workers
- The contract of employment and its terms, including implied terms
- Varying contracts of employment and available remedies
- Advising members on the employment contract
Who is the course for?
All TUC Union Professionals’ courses are for officers and staff directly employed by a TUC affiliated union.
These modules are particularly suitable for newly appointed officers and staff. More experienced officers will find it useful as an update or refresher course.
What will the course help me to do?
The course will help you to:
- Understand the principles of Employment Law
- Use employment law issues in organising
- Advise members on employment law issues
- Research and use legal sources to help deal with cases.
How long is the course?
Each module is roughly equivalent to three days learning, spread over the course of three to four weeks.
Each module contains some online work which can be done with some flexibility, and a one-day classroom-based session at Congress House.
How much is the course?
One module costs £150.00
Two modules cost £260.00
All three modules cost £375.00
For further information please contact Martin Hegarty, TUC Education Officer email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 7467 1219.
|TypeSort by Type Ascending||LocationSort by Location Ascending||DatesSort by Dates Ascending||DurationSort by Duration Ascending|
|Blended||Trades Union Congress - Union Professionals, London||7 Oct 2019 to 25 Oct 2019 |
Two online periods with one classroom session ( Wednesday 16 October)
|Three weeks||Apply for this course|